2017 Software Summer Intern
- Coralville/Iowa City, IA
- Software Development
- Student (College)
Are you a college student or recent graduate seeking a summer internship in the software industry? Are you passionate about mobile development and its ability to transform education and directly impact student success? Are you smart, tenacious, team-centric, curious, and what some might call learning-obsessed? That’s HLT. If that’s you, too, then we encourage you to consider applying for our Software Summer Intern program.
We’re the market leader in mLearning and one of the best places on the planet to work.
WHO WE ARE
HLT is a 2012 Iowa City-born start-up that provides smartphone and tablet test preparation apps so that busy students can effectively study anytime and anywhere. We are targeting the multi-billion dollar markets for licensure and certification test prep, with a focus on high-stakes health sciences and common core examinations. Mobile is one of the fastest growing markets in history and HLT has emerged as a market leader with the most popular, highest grossing and most downloaded of all test prep apps on both android and apple devices. Now, we are building upon our mobile learning engine to expand beyond test prep.
The company now has 26 total apps, which have had gross sales over $6MM since launch. Despite 250+ competitors in nursing and dental, our initial fields, we have more mobile market share and mobile revenues than all our direct competitors combined. Our key focus for new fields will be in health science and other professional fields and we are on track to deliver more than 15 new apps in 2016 with projected sales of over $5MM.
As a young and fast-moving EdTEch company bent on transforming the way learners experience education, our status quo is constant motion. This requires us to embrace change and be bold and imaginative in how we work. The same is true for who we hire. We need smart, tenacious, team-centric people who share our curiosity of the world and learning-obsessed mindset. We need problem solvers who love tackling big challenges and can flex quickly to rapidly moving parts. We need drivers who own their actions and have the propensity for getting this done.
Although what got us here won’t get us there, we hold tightly to a set of core values to Innovate, Captivate, and Educate. These ideals are the heartbeat of our company, and we are rigorous in identifying these qualities in the people we hire.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
We begin our internship experience with a 4-week survey of our Software Department and the company as a whole. During this initial period, the intern can expect the following:
- Training in industry's best design and development practices
- Experience with standard frameworks, automated testing protocols, and code management platform
- Time with experts in Content, Marketing, Customer Service and other areas of our company
- One-to-one meetings with our CEO/Founder and other members of the executive team
Upon completion of the survey, each intern (with your input) will be placed on a team and assigned a series of individual or group projects that are taken from current or prior requests of our Software Team. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Convert mobile upgrade screens from static to dynamic input
- Refactor code in key areas of the app to make better use of frameworks
- Optimize database queries to reduce response times
- Complete automated test implementation for high use areas of mobile or web apps
- Design tests for implementation of Item Response Theory within the apps
As an HLT Intern in Software Development, you will be given REAL projects to work on that will ship as a part of one of our products. You will receive mentoring from the team at HLT, and learn about the software development industry from the experts. We're a small company, so you'll see everything that goes into software—not just code, but testing, marketing, sales, documentation, customer support, and user interface design—stuff you would likely not get exposure to at a bigger company.
At HLT, we will give you meaty projects to manage and we'll expect you to deliver something great.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Currently enrolled in (or recently graduated from) a four-year academic institution. Preference will be given to December 2017 or May 2018 graduates, but if you are earlier in your program please still apply!
- Strong academic performance and/or a track record of success
- Significant coursework in Computer Science (major not required)
- Top-notch computer programming skills. During the interview process, we will give you some coding problems and you will wow us with your brilliant solutions
- Competitive salary; we pay between $20-25/hour
- Unlimited office snacks, free coffee at “The Flavia” (our on-site brewing station), funny + talented colleagues, and an amazing work culture
- Regular on/off-site team events
- CEO meet-ups and access to the entire HLT leadership team
- The position will be based in our office in Coralville/Iowa City, IA
- The internship will kick off in late May 2017 and last 10 weeks
- Possible fall/spring semester opportunities for the right individual
- Please visit our blog to read a recent retrospective written by one of our 2016 interns: http://watercooler.hltcorp.com/life-at-hlt-an-interns-retrospective/. It offers great insight on life at HLT!
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the positions are filled. If interested in this opportunity we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.